The MathLM license manager is used to distribute licenses for network installations of Mathematica. After updating Mathematica to a newer major version, you also need to upgrade to the equivalent or later version of MathLM.
To upgrade your MathLM installation and have it start using the new license information, you need to collect the MathLM installer and all necessary license details, stop the current MathLM service, install the new MathLM and restart the service. During the MathLM installation, you will be prompted to uninstall the previous MathLM and update the Mathematica license information.
Renewing Your MathLM License
You will need your activation key, MathID and new password to update your license information.
- Get your activation key from the User Portal.
- In a command prompt opened with administrator privileges, navigate to the installation folder of MathLM (C:\Program Files (x86)\Wolfram Research\MathLM by default).
- Execute the following command to get the MathID:
- To generate a password, go to the Password Generator form in the User Portal and enter the activation key and MathID obtained in the steps above. Click the Generate Password button to generate your new password.
You are now ready to update your MathLM license information.
- To stop the currently running process of MathLM, find the process ID by executing the following command:
- Make a copy of the mathpass file and name it “mathpass.old.”
- Using a plain text editor such as Notepad, open the original mathpass file.
- Verify that the MathID found in the second column of the file is the same as the one you identified previously.
- Verify that the activation key in the third column is the same as the one identified previously, or update the column entry to the new key otherwise.
- Locate the old password in the last column of the mathpass file and replace it with the password generated in step 3.
- Save the mathpass file.
- Restart MathLM by executing the following command: