In order to set up gridMathematica Server, we will
- Install gridMathematica Server on a compute node, then
- Activate the gridMathematica Server’s license and
- Test a gridMathematica kernel.
Install gridMathematica Server on a Compute Node
The gridMathematica Server installer for Linux is a bash script that is run in the Linux terminal. If you’re not familiar with the terminal, please read a brief guide on how to use the terminal.
- Quit any previous installation of Wolfram products running on your machine.
- Open a terminal and change the directory to where the installer is located. For example, if the installer is located on your desktop, run:
This changes the directory to your desktop. If you wish to verify that the installer file is on your desktop, use the command
- The installer needs administrative privileges to run. Use the command
sudoto run the installer script. For example, if the installer is called “installer.sh”, run:
sudoasks you to enter the administrative password on the machine. After providing the administrative password, the installer starts.
- The installer begins by verifying the archive integrity and then extracting the archive. Once extracted, you are prompted to enter an installation directory.
Press Enter to install gridMathematica Server to the default directory. To install the software in a different location, type the full file path to your desired installation directory and press Enter.
After installing, you are prompted to configure the Lightweight Grid Manager.
- Type “y” to select the “yes” option and press Enter. You are prompted to choose a user account from which the daemon will run.
- Press Enter to create an account. You are prompted to enter a user account.
We recommend creating a new user account with the name “wolframgrid”. Press Enter to confirm this selection.
You are prompted to create a password for the new wolframgrid user account.
Choose a login password for the chosen account. Reenter the password when you are prompted to do so.
You are prompted to create a Web Interface Admin Account and password.
Choose a login password for the Web Admin account. Reenter the password when you are prompted to do so.
The Apache Tomcat server is started. You are prompted to enter a directory in which to place the gridMathematica executable scripts.
Press Enter to place them in the default directory. To place the executables in a different location, type the full file path to your desired executables directory and press Enter.
If Mathematica is already installed on the computer, then you are prompted to overwrite the existing shortcuts.
- We recommend canceling the overwrite, as it may interfere with starting the standalone version of Mathematica that is already installed. Type “3” and press Enter to cancel this step.
The installation procedure is now complete.
Activate the gridMathematica Server’s License
- Change the directory in which gridMathematica Server is installed. With the default location, this would be:
- Open gridMathematica with the following command:
- Activate gridMathematica Server. Activating gridMathematica creates a mathpass file located at
In order for all users to access activated gridMathematica kernels, move the mathpass file to the so-called base directory. You can do this with the
Test a gridMathematica Kernel
- Open a web browser and navigate to localhost:3737. The main status page appears.
The left panel indicates any gridMathematica Servers visible on the local network, including the one that was just installed.
Navigate to Kernel Settings ► Services.
- Click the Open Kernel link to open a kernel. A warning message appears.
- Confirm the warning message by clicking OK. A Wolfram kernel attempts to start.
- Wait for the Wolfram kernel to initialize. A connection status appears.
- Verify that the Kernel state is Available.
The configuration of the Lightweight Grid Manager is now complete and tested.