If your organization has enabled access to Wolfram products through single sign-on (SSO), see How do I activate a Wolfram product using single sign-on (SSO)?
To set up Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition on your Linux machine, you first need to download both the product and its documentation from the Wolfram Account, install both on your machine, then activate Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition or sign in using your organization’s credentials.
- You may choose to install Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition without its documentation. Any documentation search in your Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition installation then redirects to the online Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center and requires an active internet connection.
- The Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition installer for Linux is a bash script that is run in the Linux terminal. If you’re not familiar with the terminal, please read a brief guide on how to use the terminal. The setup is an easy-to-follow dialog. Please follow the corresponding instructions for installing from a downloaded script.
Downloading the Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition + Documentation Installers
- Quit any previous installations of Wolfram products that are running on your machine.
- Go to your Wolfram Account page.
- Navigate to the Products and Services tab. Select Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition.
- In the Desktop section, click the Download button to download the Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition installer.
- To also download the documentation installer, click See all download options and previous versions.
- Select your preferred language and click the corresponding Download button in the Direct File Download column.
- Wait for the download to finish.
- Open a terminal and change the directory to where the Documentation installer is located. For example, if the installer is located on your desktop, run:
- Installing Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition Documentation under its default locations typically requires administrative privileges.
Use the command sudo to run the installer script in that case. For example, if the installer is called “DocumentationInstaller.sh”, run:
sudo bash DocumentationInstaller.sh
sudo asks you to enter your password on the machine. After providing it, the installer starts.
sudo can be omitted when installing to a location for which you have the necessary write permissions.
The installer asks whether to proceed with the installation of the documentation as all users of the computer will be able to use it.
WARNING: Wolfram Language 14.0. English Documentation is protected by copyright law and international treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution may result in severe civil and criminal penalties and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent under law. All users of this computer will be able to use this software. Proceed with installation? (Y/n) >
- To install documentation, type “y”; otherwise, type “n”.
- Wait for the installation of the Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition Documentation to complete.
Start the downloaded Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition installer.
sudo bash ProductInstaller.sh
The installer prompts you to enter an installation directory.
Enter the installation directory, or press ENTER to select /usr/local/Wolfram/WolframAlphaNotebook/14.0:
Press Enter to install Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition to the default directory.
Otherwise, type the full file path to your desired installation directory and press Enter.
The installer copies the files to the installation directory.
Type the directory path in which Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition script(s) will be created, or press ENTER to select /usr/local/bin:
- Press Enter to place the executables in the default directory.
Otherwise, type in the full file path and then press Enter.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Open Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition to start using it. The Wolfram Product Activation dialog appears.
- Click Continue and activate Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition using your Wolfram credentials or your organization’s single sign-on access.
Installing the Documentation
Installing Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition
Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition is now set up and ready to use.
Whether you have a question about billing, activation or something more technical, we are ready to help you.
1-800-WOLFRAM (+1-217-398-0700 for international callers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
- Product registration or activation
- Pre-sales information and ordering
- Help with installation and first launch
Advanced Technical Support (for eligible customers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
8:30–10am & 11am–5pm US Central Time
- Priority technical support
- Product assistance from Wolfram experts
- Help with Wolfram Language programming
- Advanced installation support