How do I set up Mathematica on Windows?
Read this article in: Deutsch, Español, Français, 日本語, 한국어, Português, Русский, 中文
If your organization has enabled access to Wolfram products through single sign-on (SSO), see How do I activate a Wolfram product using single sign-on (SSO)?
To set up Mathematica on your desktop Windows machine, you first need to download Mathematica and its documentation from the Wolfram User Portal, install both on your machine, then activate Mathematica or sign in using your organization’s credentials.
- You may choose to install Mathematica without its documentation. Any documentation search in your Mathematica installation then redirects to the online Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center and requires an active internet connection.
- We recommend using the Wolfram Download Manager for both the Mathematica installer and the Documentation installer. Alternative download managers and installers are available in your User Portal as well. Without download managers, installations need to be started manually.
Downloading the Mathematica + Documentation Installers
- Quit any previous installations of Wolfram products that are running on your machine.
- On the Mathematica product page in your User Portal, click the Windows link in the “Mathematica + Documentation” line and “Standard Download” column. This downloads the Wolfram Download Manager for Windows for both the Mathematica core product and the product documentation.
Alternatively, to install only either the core product or the documentation, or download the installer without the Wolfram Download Manager, click here.
- Start the Wolfram Download Manager executable and follow its instructions.
- Click the Download Manager’s Launch button to install the Mathematica Documentation.
- Complete the installation for the Mathematica Documentation.
- The setup dialog for installing Mathematica will appear on your screen.
- Click Next to begin the installation process.
- Click Next to install Mathematica to the default directory.
To install Mathematica to a different directory, click Browse and select the directory. Then click Next to continue.
- Click Next to include wolframscript with your installation.
If you prefer not to install wolframscript, select “Choose components to install” from the drop-down menu and uncheck the checkbox next to wolframscript, then click Next to continue.
- The installer adds Mathematica shortcuts to the Windows Start Menu in the Wolfram Mathematica folder.
To make the shortcuts appear in a different folder, click Browse and select a directory. If you prefer not to make a shortcut in the Start Menu, check the box next to “Don’t create a Start Menu folder”.
Click Next to continue the installation.
- The Remove Other Applications window only appears if there are older versions installed on the computer. Select any old versions of Mathematica that you want to uninstall, then click Next.
- The configuration of the Mathematica installation is finished. Click Install to begin installing.
Wait for the installation process to complete.
- To complete the installation and launch Mathematica, click Finish.
Installing the Documentation
The installation is now complete.
Next, activate Mathematica or sign in using your organization’s credentials to start using it.
Whether you have a question about billing, activation or something more technical, we are ready to help you.
1-800-WOLFRAM (+1-217-398-0700 for international callers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
- Product registration or activation
- Pre-sales information and ordering
- Help with installation and first launch
Advanced Technical Support (for eligible customers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
8:30–10am & 11am–5pm US Central Time
- Priority technical support
- Product assistance from Wolfram experts
- Help with Wolfram Language programming
- Advanced installation support