How do I set up Mathematica on macOS?
Read this article in: Deutsch, Español, Français, 日本語, 한국어, Português, Русский, 中文
If your organization has enabled access to Wolfram products through single sign-on (SSO), see How do I activate a Wolfram product using single sign-on (SSO)?
To set up Mathematica on your desktop macOS machine, you first need to download Mathematica and its documentation from the Wolfram User Portal, install both on your machine, then activate Mathematica or sign in using your organization’s credentials.
- You may choose to install Mathematica without its documentation. Any documentation search in your Mathematica installation then redirects to the online Wolfram Language & System Documentation Center and requires an active internet connection.
- We recommend using the Wolfram Download Manager for both the Mathematica installer and the Documentation installer. Alternative download managers and installers are available in your User Portal as well. Without download managers, installations need to be started manually.
- Since Version 13.0, a single Mathematica installer for macOS installs the product on both Apple Silicon and Intel hardware.
Downloading the Mathematica + Documentation Installers
- Quit any previous installations of Wolfram products that are running on your machine.
- If you have a version of Mathematica installed in your Applications folder, rename it.
- On the Mathematica product page in your User Portal, click the macOS link in the “Mathematica + Documentation” line and “Standard Download” column. This downloads the Wolfram Download Manager for macOS for both the Mathematica core product and the product documentation.
Alternatively, to install only either the core product or the documentation, or download the installer without the Wolfram Download Manager, click here.
- Run the downloaded dmg file.
- Double-click the icon to start the installers’ download process.
- Click Next to download both installers to your default downloads folder. To download the installers to a different directory, click Browse and select the directory. Then click Next to continue.
- Wait for the download to complete.
Installing the Documentation
- Click Launch to start the Mathematica Documentation installation process.
- Click the Continue button.
- Click Install to install the Documentation in its default location.
- Wait for the Documentation’s installation to complete.
- Click Close to finish the Documentation’s installation.
- The Mathematica installer window appears.
- Drag the Mathematica.app icon to the Applications folder icon to begin installing Mathematica.
- Wait for Mathematica’s installation to complete.
Mathematica is now installed in your Applications folder. Next, activate the software or sign in using your organization’s credentials to start using it.
Mathematica also comes with an optional wolframscript installer.
- Return to the Mathematica installer window.
- Double-click the wolframscript.pkg icon to run the wolframscript installer. The Install wolframscript dialog appears.
- Click Continue.
- Click Install to install wolframscript at its default location.
- Click Close to close the wolframscript installer.
wolframscript’s installation is now complete.
Whether you have a question about billing, activation or something more technical, we are ready to help you.
1-800-WOLFRAM (+1-217-398-0700 for international callers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
- Product registration or activation
- Pre-sales information and ordering
- Help with installation and first launch
Advanced Technical Support (for eligible customers)
8am–5pm US Central Time
8:30–10am & 11am–5pm US Central Time
- Priority technical support
- Product assistance from Wolfram experts
- Help with Wolfram Language programming
- Advanced installation support